New port: pvrxxx for Hauppauge PVR150/500

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com
Mon Oct 16 17:08:28 PDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 01:27:42AM +0200, Hans Nieser wrote:

> However I am having some trouble selecting different geometries. Using the
> default geometry (which appears to be 720x576) there are no problems, but
> with any of the others, things get stretched out, the image is clipped,
> and the compression seems really high (i.e. I'm seeing huge compression
> artifacts) at the 480x576 resolution.

That's because the tuner needs to scale.  You'll have artifacts.  If you
could use 360x288 I think you'd find the artifacts would disappear and the
compression would drop.  I'm not sure if you can use geometries that aren't
in the list though...

> The reason I don't just stick to the default geometry is that the
> compression is too low; the captured file increases by about 1.1MB per second.

Welcome to the wonderful world of MPEG-2!  That's really not bad when you
think about it.  A 300g drive (which is cheap nowadays) could hold 77 hours
of full DVD-quality video.  If you're anticipating permanent storage you
may wish to look at ffmpeg, mencoder, transcode, etc. and reprocess the
video after it's saved.  I'm actually happy that it's about 1MB/s without
artifacts!

-- Rick C. Petty