New port: pvrxxx for Hauppauge PVR150/500

usleepless at gmail.com usleepless at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 23:40:17 PDT 2006

Hi All,

On 10/16/06, Rick C. Petty <rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com> wrote:

> You might be right that there's no EEPROM/Flash.  But the DSP chip(s)
> is/are programmed through the I2C bus, at least that's what usleep hinted.

correct. however, ivtv seems to be able to download it much faster. i
have experimented with speeding up the i2c stuff, but failed ( ie gave
up ).

> > Maybe it is possible to continue with other things, when locking is done
> less
> > strict? Or does firmware upload require some important bus (like PCI)
> during
> > the whole time?
>
> I think it's timing-critical, although an I2C bus has clock and data lines,
> so I can't see any reason the kernel needs to block during the download.
> Feel free (anyone) to look into the iic code and pull it out from under
> GIANT.

will that help? reason i ask is because with the i2c, the cpu is
responsible for every bit-switch/line-switch in the protocol. so
through the pci-interface, it tells the card to pull the line up, you
wait a very short time, and tell it to pull the i2c-line down. etc...

this weekend, i removed Giant from the pvrxxx-driver itself. i am on
UP myself, so i don't know what it is good for.

regards,

usleep