New port: pvrxxx for Hauppauge PVR150/500

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Thu Oct 12 17:29:19 UTC 2006

> > The first thing we need is good tuner support in BSD.  Nothing against the
> > Hauppauge PVR150/500 cards, but IIRC they are analog-only cards.  Analog
> > broadcasts are going away soon, so we need support for DIGITAL tuners.
>
> And how do you propose we write drivers for these proprietary tuners?
> Last I checked there were very few digital tuners available, and most
> have DRM protection.  Even finding cards which have linux drivers is quite
> difficult!

How do the penguins write drivers?

What digital tuner has DRM?  Do you mean the broadcast flag?  The HD3000
specifically promises to not look at it.  I haven't seen any other tuner
mention it.

http://www.bttv-gallery.de/

> And "soon" isn't very specific.  From what I've read, most countries won't
> stop broadcasting analog for 3-10 years from now.  I wouldn't exactly call
> that "soon".  Fortunately/unfortunately, analog's here for awhile.

"Soon" depends on where you live.  About 2 years for many of us.  And it is
shortest time that counts, not the longest.  Or do you propose that everyone
move to whatever country plans to allow analog for 10 years?

> Making linux drivers work in BSD is often nontrivial.

What can be done to make this easier?

> > The second thing we need is video output support, including at least XvMC.
> >
> > MythTV is 3rd priority at most.
>
> IMO, having myth working in BSD will help those who favor BSD to convert
> their current myth boxes.  I think that's more important than supporting
> video output, since a lot of people who care about HD or digital quality
> have working solutions.

What good is myth without tuners or output?

Digital tuner support is not just about HD or quality.  There is programming
available today on digital broadcasts that is not available on analog
broadcasts,  And again, analog broadcasts are going away soon.