FreeBSD based "media server" ... ?

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Wed Oct 4 23:12:46 PDT 2006

Marc G. Fournier wrote this message on Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 02:55 -0300:
> Just picked up a D-Link Wireless 'Media Center' to replace the FreeBSD box
> I was using to attached to the TV ... much easier on the eyes to read then
> the 'blurred screen', but really don't like having to use a Windows box as
> the 'server behind it' ... especially since all my content is *on* my
> FreeBSD box ...
>
> Does anyone know of something that can be run on FreeBSD to eliminate the
> 'middle man' and feed directly from the FreeBSD box?

If the D-Link media box is a UPnP Media Player, I currently am using
a Python UPnP media server that I've been working on:
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/jmpc/pymeds.html

It works w/ my D-Link DSM-520, except that after about 25-30 minutes,
it times out using the latest firmware...  Though after the first
timeout, things seem a lot better...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579