USB headset ... ?

Thu May 18 06:44:48 UTC 2006

Quoting "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy at hub.org> (from Wed, 17 May 2006
22:52:23 -0300 (ADT)):

> has anyone ever used something like this under FreeBSD?
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005A9AU/104-0319067-3554367?n=172282
>
> like, are there drivers needed, or ... ?
>
> Skype has it listed, and I like the fact that I'm not going to end up
> tying up my sound card ...

You should be aware that our USB stack doesn't allow full duplex
communication by default ATM. For uhci chipsets you can enable it by
changing the source and it should work.

If this Plantronics headset is just an ordinary USB audio device, it
should work (FreeBSD 6.1 or -current is a good choice then).

In case you want to play music at the same time you are using a
headset, you can activate the virtual channels for the audio device
with a sysctl. This way the sound system allows to open /dev/dsp
multiple times and mixes everything together and you don't need to
have more than one soundcard.

Bye,
Alexander.

LEVERAGE:
	Even if someone doesn't care what the world thinks
	about them, they always hope their mother doesn't find out.