Skype

Stephen Bartlett stephen at bartlettsoftware.biz
Wed May 17 08:47:54 UTC 2006

Thus spake Ion-Mihai Tetcu on Wed, May 17, 2006 at 10:36:56AM +0300:
> On Wed, 17 May 2006 14:09:33 +1000
> Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 17 May 2006 00:50:08 -0300
> > Duane Whitty <duane at greenmeadow.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > Darn ol' linux.ko.  That was the problem.  For some reason that module
> > > didn't get loaded.  Sigh, I guess I need to say darn ol' operator, eh.
> > >
> > > It worked immediately after I did kldload linux.
> > >
> > > I always thought that that was what linux_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf did.
> >
> > Excellent :)
> >
> > I only have the line in rc.conf, and it gets loaded fine....
>
> Yup,
>  > grep linux /etc/rc.conf
> linux_enable="YES"
> should be enough.

FWIW, I had had Skype running fine on 6.0-RELEASE -- then it stopped working for some unknown reason.  Symptoms were that the Skype process would start, fire up some child processes, but never bring up any windows.

I upgraded to 6.1-RELEASE, did a portupgrade, and still had the same problem with Skype.  After reading that other people still were able to run Skype, I decided to start all over with it: deinstalled net/skype, deinstalled the emulators/linux_base-suse-9.3 that I'd been using, and 'rm -rf /compat/linux/*'.  Then, I just:

cd /usr/ports/net/skype
make install
(that ended up installing linux_base-8)

Although the build/install went fine, Skype wouldn't start due to missing libraries.  So I copied them over from a Linux partition (happens to be Gentoo):
libGL.so.1
libXmu.so.6
libXrandr.so.2
libXcursor.so.1
libXft.so.2
libSM.so.6
libICE.so.6
libXext.so.6
libX11.so.6
libXxf86vm.so.1
libXt.so.6
libXrender.so.1
libexpat.so.0

And now Skype runs fine again for me.  O frabjous day!

- Stephen
--
Stephen Bartlett
President, Bartlett Software, Inc.