What's up with all the spam on several FreeBSD mailing lists?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Mar 16 15:17:26 UTC 2006

Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:
 > What is the reason for the sudden flood of spam on several FreeBSD
 > mailing lists?  Do these lists no longer require that senders be
 > subscribed to the list?

They never did require that, except for a few (-hackers and
-current, I think).  For example, I'm not subscribed to any
of the lists (I'm reading them via an NNTP gateway), but
still I can send to them.

My guess is that some spammer accidentally managed to
circumvent the antispam filters.  That happens once in a
while.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Perl will consistently give you what you want,
unless what you want is consistency."
        -- Larry Wall