today's 6.1 would not boot here

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 2 16:46:16 PST 2006

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 13:22:05 -0500
Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
> צ×ÔÏÒÏË 28 ÌÀÔÉÊ 2006 14:46, Ariff Abdullah ÷É ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌÉ:
> > How about all my other suggestion? The "Remove all sound driver
> > from the kernel (yes, including sound_load="YES" and
> > snd_ich_load="YES" from /boot/loader.conf) , enable your
> > "hardware" sound device, boot, and use kldload sound ; kldload
> > snd_ich?"
>
> Yes this works -- and the sound even seems better than it used to be
> (or,  maybe, I'm just hearing things).

You probably heard the real things ;)

> BTW, I saw some commits to ich.c -- should I try putting it back
> into kernel?

Recent commit does not fix your problem, but it is still a good idea
to put it back since it fix other things. For now I suggest you to put
something like:

kldload sound
kldload snd_ich
/etc/rc.d/mixer start > /dev/null 2>&1
/etc/rc.d/sysctl start > /dev/null 2>&1

into your /etc/rc.local. Note that this is just a temporary measure,
since the real fix will come sooner

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD