Trouble understanding APM

caleb destroyingculture at netspace.net.au
Wed Mar 1 17:41:00 PST 2006

Hi everyone,

	I am trying to get APM working properly on my Intel 855PM P4 1600
centrino laptop, and am having trouble understanding APM / ACPI.

I have an APM DockAP in WindowMaker that display's battery statistics'
The only APM feature I cannot seem to get working is the battery time
remaining. In my kernel I have 'device apm' and 'apm_enable' in my
rc.conf. I know that APM and ACPI cannot exist together and am wondering
if this is the reason APM is not working properly.

Here is what I get when I type 'apm' at the console;

APM version: 1.2
APM Management: Enabled
AC Line status: on-line
Battery Status: charging
Remaining battery life: 14%
Remaining battery time: unknown
Number of batteries: 1
Battery 0:
	Battery Status: charging
	Remaining battery life: 14%
	Remaining battery time: unknown
Resume timer: unknown
Resume on ring indicator: disabled

If someone could point me in the direction of usefull information, that
would be terrific.

Thanks,

caleb

--
"If you are new to UNIX, you may be used to clicking something and
seeing either an "OK" message, an error, nothing, or (all too often) a