Status of VIA Envy24 audio controller

Stefan Ehmann shoesoft at gmx.net
Sat Jun 17 12:43:24 UTC 2006

On Saturday 17 June 2006 14:00, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> On 6/13/06, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Cool!, I just order a Audiophile 2496, it should be in my hands by
> > the end of the week for testing.
>
> Three problems so far (using Konstantin's full.diff patch):
>
> 1)
> $ kldunload snd_ak452x.ko
> Warning: memory type ak452x leaked memory on destroy (1 allocations,
> 64 bytes leaked).
>
> 2)
> I have no sound in KDE. Everything works fine at the console but when
> I load KDE (3.5.3) the sound stutters and plays at less then 1/2 speed.
>
> 3)
> 'mixer: WRITE_MIXER: Device not configured' The message repeats x
> times at system startup, x = whatever hw.snd.maxautovchans is set to.

This is because the only supported mixer devices are vol, pcm and line. But
the driver shows other values too. If you try to change one of the other
values (which is done at startup), you get this error message:

$ mixer cd 100
Setting the mixer cd from 0:0 to 100:100.
mixer: WRITE_MIXER: Device not configured

I've seen a number of other problems too. I will report them later in detail
when I have time to test properly.

- vchans don't work for me.
- 24 bit playback not supported (only 16/32 bit)
- after kld(un)loading some times, the card fails to be probed until reboot

Having a unified driver first is probably more important.