kern/84471: [sound] [patch] no sound ICH4 (Analog Devices

Nick Withers nick at nickwithers.com
Sun Jul 23 23:18:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:21:37 +1000 (EST)
"Nick Withers" <nick at nickwithers.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 July, 2006 3:20 pm, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 02:33:08PM +1000, Nick Withers wrote:
> >  > G'day all,
> >  >
> >  > I'm attempting to convert a mate of my to the light side that is
> > FreeBSD.
> >  > Everything's working extremely well, with the exception of sound for
> > his
> >  > Compaq Presario B3800 laptop.
> >  >
> >  > I _believe_ that this is the same issue as described in kern/84471,
> > which
> >  > I believe needs to be re-opened.
> >  >

> (snip)
>
> > How about attached patch?
>
> Thanks very much for that, but I'm afraid it didn't solve the problem...

Apparently I lied...

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Pyun YongHyeon
>
> Any other ideas? Cheers!
>
> Oh, and Ariff: I tried setting ogain and phout to 100 both before and
> after applying the patch / installing a new kernel to no avail, thanks for
> the suggestion and interest!

Righto, something magic happened and the machine now outputs
sound without any problems.

The only thing that I can really think of that might have b
rought this about (short of me screwing something up - which I
don't believe I did - or some strange hardware fault) is that
he did attempt to boot into a vanilla Windows XP Professional
installation (unsuccessfully, mind you) between our testing and
the sound problem magically disappearing. The machine has a
hardware volume adjuster thingy that isn't just an analog
volument control (i.e.: It's the kind where some software is
required to handle the thing), so perhaps the hardware volument
was set to an aduible level by the XP boot? ...I hate things
fixing themselves magically!

Booting with the unpatched kernel leads to no sound, so Pyun's
patch appears to have done the trick!
--
Nick Withers
email: nick at nickwithers.com