Acer Aspire AS5672 - built in camera - status so far

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Fri Jul 21 22:21:37 UTC 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:14:04 +0200 (CEST)
Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:

> On http://raaf.atspace.org/ (homepage of multimedia/pwcbsd)
> there's a list of supported vendor/product IDs, including
> quite a lot of Logitech ones.  Maybe the 0x0892 one is
> compatible with the others, so just adding the ID to the
> source might be sufficient to get it work.  Worth a try.

I tried that, but it didn't work. :-)

> There's also graphics/phpsview in the Ports which supports
> several Philips / Logitech cameras.  Might be worth a try,

It doesn't support this camera.

> try to look at the Linux driver whether it supports the
> 0x0892 ID, and if so, try to backport it to the BSD port.

I looked at the source for the newest Linux driver; it doesn't support
this camera.

After some more searching, I found this entry over at Tony's Blog:
http://www.students.ncl.ac.uk/a.j.mee/blog/index.php/2006/05/10/acer-travelmate-8204wlmi-with-gentoo/

It seems that the Acer OrbiCam is a spca5xx type camera (with a zc0321
chipset), and that it will be supported by a new version of the above
mentioned Linux driver. This probably means that it will be possible to
get it into either pwcbsd or the spca5xx port in the future.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,