JVC Everio Camera and DVDs

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Wed Jul 19 10:22:14 UTC 2006

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:43:55 +1000
Ray Newman <ray at one.com.au> wrote:

> I have a problem with the term "re-multiplex"; what does this mean?

	An mpeg2 stream contains audio and video streams (potentially
several audio streams and perhaps subtitle streams too) each stream is
split into packets and these packets are interleaved (or multiplexed) in
the container file.

	DVDs require another set of packets in addition to the audio, video
and subtitle packets called navigation packets or VOBUs. Few applications
provide these (you might be lucky) - mpeg2 stream files with VOBUs are
usually known as VOBs (from the extension seen in DVDs).

	To get a VOB from a plain mpeg file it is necessary to break the
file into it's component parts (demultiplex it) using mpeg2desc this can be
done like this:

mpeg2desc < file.mod -a 0 -o audio -v 0 -o video

	Which produces files audio and video. These can then be
(re-)multiplexed back into a VOB with

mplex -f 8 -o file.vob video audio

	or

tcmplex-panteltje -m d -i video -0 audio -o file.vob

	The -f 8 (-m d) tells mplex (tcmplex-panteltje) to build an mpeg2
stream with navigation packets. You can then use dvdauthor to assemble a
DVD image and growisofs to burn it.

	It is also possible to do the same job with a recent version of
ffmpeg (more recent than 0.49-pre1) in a single command.

ffmpeg -i file.mod -vcodec copy -acodec copy -target pal-dvd file.vob

> Also the transcode port won't build anyway.

	Oh dear. Ah well mpeg2desc from dvdauthor will probably do the job.

> I guess my question should be: what is wrong with the MPEG2 files from
> this camera?

	Nothing is likely to be wrong with them but they are almost
certainly not VOBs :)