choosing a TV Tuner

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Sun Jul 9 21:00:23 UTC 2006

Hi Yuri,

On Sunday 09 July 2006 04:42, you wrote:

<SNIP>

> > Saa driver: purpe.com (or try multimedia/kbtv). It has some problems
> > though, most notably some tuner types (Philips MK, the one I have)
> > can't find their (former) frequency back after my box has been shut
> > down (not rebooted but shut down), and I need to tune it to some
> > channel in Linux first. It's a known problem, related to signal
> > detection. I'm (slowly) looking into finding a way to solve this in
> > kbtv.
> >

> Hi, Dan.
>
> Can you give some advices on how to tune AverMedia 507 to given frequency?
> I've no other OSes on this machine.
>
> I've used saa driver from your kbtv-1.1.1 tarball. Changed
> lines in Makevars are:
> TUNER_FLAGS+= -DTUNER_APITYPE_PHILIPS_MK3
> TUNER_FLAGS+= -DTUNER_WR_I2CADDR=0xc2 -DTUNER_RD_I2CADDR=0xc3
>
> after loading the driver:
> saa0: <Phillips SAA7133 AV broadcast decoder> mem 0xf6004000-0xf60047ff
> irq 19 at device 7.0 on pci1 pcib1: saa0 requested memory range
> 0xf6004000-0xf60047ff: good
> saa0: [MPSAFE]
> iicbus0: <SAA713x I2C Controller> on saa0
> iic0: <I2C generic I/O> on iicbus0
>
> pciconf:
> saa0 at pci1:7:0:  class=0x048000 card=0x97151461 chip=0x71331131 rev=0xd1
> hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'Philips Semiconductors'
>     device   = 'SAA7135HL Multi Media Capture Device'
>     class    = multimedia
>
> But tune_channels can't find any channel, set_channel /dev/iic0
> <anyfreq> and running tvv shows only black window.

Like I said, at the moment you'd have to use a dual boot setup or use a
bootable CD from which you can tune the card for the first time ("first"
means every time after power-off :-(

No patch yet, but maybe some useful info:

I've been investigating this problem a bit more and I'm sceptical about
Rohit's assumption about MK3 tuners not supporting PLL based signal
detection. I'm pretty sure it does, how else can the tuning work once I've
used the hardware under Linux. Something gets initialized there but it
doesn't get initialized by the saa driver on its own, or rather its (iic)
tuning support code.

Now if you google for tuning problems with MK3 tuners (and others I reckon),
there's plenty leads suggesting (on Linux) that the tda9887 module must be
loaded. And indeed, MK3 tuners have a TDA9887 based IF demodulator.

"The FQ/FM1200 MK3 contains two i2c tranceivers, one in the tuner section and
one in the IF section. It is imperative to ensure that both i2c devices are
programmed correctly according to their address"
[ http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/datasheets/tuners/FQ1200MK3 application note
1_0.pdf ]

This is the direction where I'm looking at currently. I think I'll have to do
some iic babble for the IF side like linux, and indeed also mt2032 in bktr,
does. Any further comments/ideas welcome. Can someone confirm this?

%./scan_i2c /dev/iic0
scan_i2c: Device at 134

scan_i2c: Device at 135

scan_i2c: Device at 160

scan_i2c: Device at 161

scan_i2c: Device at 194

scan_i2c: Device at 195

Note that
134 = 0x86: standard tda9887 address (it seems that 0x84 and 0x96 may also be
used in special cases)
160 = 0xa0: dunno
194 = 0xc2: tuner address

HTH,

I hope to have some testing code soon, but I need to get a better grasp of
what's going on here first.

Dan