bktr with Hauppauge WinTV GO-Plus

Naram Qashat cyberbotx at cyberbotx.com
Mon Jan 16 13:51:46 PST 2006

Well, I recently got a Hauppauge WinTV GO-Plus and I am using it with
FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p7.  Component0 works fine on it, meaning I could plug
in an RCA video cable into it and see the video (and get the audio via Line
In if I use a converter from Radio Shack).  But when I try to view cable TV
reception, at first I was getting only static on every single frequency.
Below is my dmesg.boot that is found with the bktr driver:

bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xdc000000-0xdc000fff irq 11 at device 9.0 on
pci1
bktr0: Hauppauge Model 29440  @ %
bktr0: Warning - Unknown Hauppauge Tuner 0xd5
bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips NTSC tuner.

After talking to people in #freebsdhelp on EFNet, I found that the tuner was
actually being detected incorrectly.  I used 'sysctl hw.bt848.tuner=1' and
it works with the Temic NTSC tuner setting.  But then I run into another
problem.  While I now can see a clear picture and can hear the sound, the
tuner isn't properly displaying what needs to be displayed.  I am using
kbtv, and I tell it to add channels for US Cable with no frequency offset.
Every channel up to "24" (frequency 145 MHz) shows the exact same channel.
Once I go to channel 25, which is put in as frequency 151 MHz, I get a
different channel.  26 is in there as 157 MHz and also comes up as another
different channel.  But then channel 27 is in there as 163 MHz, and it's
static, and everything above that until channel 75 at 451 MHz comes up as
the same type of static.  Channel 76 at 457 MHz comes up as another channel,
but not a clear one, no picture is shown and the sound is full of static but
you can hear something coming in.  Because of the static on that and all
frequencies about that, it's hard to tell if it's coming up with the same
channels for all those frequencies.

The Hauppauge WinTV GO-Plus has a bt878 chipset on it.

Any other settings for hw.bt848.tuner besides 1 and I get bad video with
good audio, or static for both video and audio.

I've been trying other settings for hw.bt848.card and I've found that 1
(Miro) and 8 (Nec_PK) and 9 (IO_GV) and 10 (Flyvideo) and 11 (Zoltrix) and
12 (Kiss) give me picture with no sound, 4 (Intel) and 7 (Osprey) give me no
picture or sound, 5 (IMS_Turbo) and 6 (Aver_Media) give me a picture and
only gives me sound when I go to switch channels but no sound when on a
channel (even though the channel still doesn't actually change on the lower
frequencies) and strangely with using Aver_Media it plays the cable TV sound
when put on composite 0 instead of 1, while 2 (Hauppauge) and 13
(Video_Highway_Xtreme) display both picture and sound with no problems.
Using -1 for hw.bt848.card works as well.

Is there any work being done on the driver that might fix this problem?

(I'm not subscribed to the mailing list, so if anyone replies to this, could
they Cc me to the reply?  Thanks.)

Naram Qashat a.k.a. CyberBotX