today's 6.1 would not boot here

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 27 12:38:03 PST 2006

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:38:26 -0700
Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org> wrote:

> Is this a problem with calibrating the sample rate on the chip?
> There  was a problem with snd_ich several years ago where the
> calibration would fail or be unpredictable during boot.  I fixed it
> my moving the  calibration code to a separate step that gets run via
> the  config_intrhook API.  That made it work reliably during boot
> and when loaded after boot.  Is this new problem somehow related to
> this?  Since I was the one who fixed it in the past, I'd be happy to
> help now.

It seems related. From my naked eyes, I can sense that the interrupt
was trigered during/before sampling rate calibration, and since the
calibration expect to not trigger any interrupt, this will cause
unexpected behaviour especially for this MPSAFEed driver *and* during
boot. Besides, the pcm construction also done before the calibration,
unlike snd_atiixp where the hook is use to bring everything alive
after the necessary step is finished.

I'll come up with something shortly.

--
Ariff Abdullah