MythTV (was: Possible FreeBSD port?)

Christian Gusenbauer c47g at gmx.at
Fri Dec 22 02:57:37 PST 2006

Hi!

On Friday, 22. December 2006 10:44, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at FreeBSD.org> (from Fri, 22 Dec 2006
>
> 11:26:58 +1030):
> > On Thursday, 21 December 2006 at  7:46:42 +0100, Alexander Leidinger
> > wrote:
>
> [http://people.freebsd.org/~jmg/videobsd.html]
>
> > The real issue, though, is: who is going to do this work?  I only have
> > limited time, and I haven't seen much activity from others in this
> > area.  Given that, we shouldn't try to reinvent the wheel.
>
> I don't know if jmg did already some work on it while developing his
> driver. But I don't think anyone else does/did something in this
> regard. I CC jmg in case he is not following this discussion.
>
> I just noticed that we don't have this project on our ideas page
> (http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/). Did someone have a look at
> v4l(2) and jmgs proposal and compared it? If jmgs proposal looks
> better we could add an entry to the ideas list and maybe someone picks
> it up from there.
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.

Well, I think I implemented almost all of the v4l2 framework. Then I took the
FreeBSD bktr driver, separated the radio/tuner part and got it working as a
v4l2 aware driver, too. This driver registers with the framework and
a /dev/v4l2/radio0 entry is being created. I got fmtools-0.99.0 up and
running, too.

But there is a difference to the original Linux framework. AFAIR, in Linux,
one of the kernel structures holds the open file handle, but in FreeBSD
there's no place for it. So I changed the internals of the framework a bit,
but the API for the applications should be the same as for Linux.

What's missing is the video part. I had not enough specs about the v4l2
framework to get it running. And - what was the main problem for me - I did
not have time to rewrite the bktr driver as v4l2 driver. You know, no
information about the v4l2 framework and no information about the bktr driver
internals ... so I gave up.

Then, in August 2005 Julian Elischer (julian at elischer.org) asked me to give
him my work, because he wanted to do something with it. Maybe he didn't have
time :-(.

So before someone steps in and invents the wheel again, please contact Julian
first :-).

Ciao,
Christian.