MythTV (was: Possible FreeBSD port?)

usleepless at gmail.com usleepless at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 15:09:23 PST 2006

Greg,

On 12/19/06, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 December 2006 at 18:37:59 +0100, usleepless at gmail.com wrote:
> > On 12/19/06, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >> On Tuesday, 19 December 2006 at 10:34:30 +1100, Stephen Hocking wrote:
> >> Yes, I have just about finished porting MythTV, based on the good work
> >> by Stacey Son.  The main issue I have at the moment is getting it to
> >> configure cleanly.  I suppose I could commit first and fix those
> >> details later, but I'd rather not.
> >
> > if you would like some help: i have compiled mythtv numerous times
> > on fbsd ( 4.x and 6.x ). i am running it as well ( 4.11 server, 6.x
> > client )
>
> Why didn't you make a port of it?

i still might. but it is based off 18-fixes, ported to postgresql, and
heavily modified to remove all busy-wait-loops.

i made a port of the pvr500 driver which i based of the pvr250 port in
the process.

> > so if you have specific issues, please let me know. i might be able
> > to help.
>
> It seems to run, but the installation process is painful, not helped
> by the MythTV code.  Currently if you try to run MythTV before setting
> my MySQL, it gets stuck in an endless loop trying to connect, vomiting
> over the screen.  I'd like to fix that, but I suppose I can commit the
> current version.

what do you mean exactly with "setting my MySQL" ?

since i ported it to support postgresql, i had a different proces to
get it running ( running altered DDL over and over again to fight the
nightmare of different mysql-datatypes ).

i did not make a port, but i am willing to help. but if people are
interested in a 0.18-fixes-postgresql-heavily-modified port of mythtv,
let me know. if there is enough interest we might pull it off.

but i got the impression of the list that only the most recent version
of mythtv is worth aiming for ( i have no need to go to .19 or .20 )

regards,

usleep