Gateway MX3215 laptop running fbsd 6.1 current, no sound.

Matthew_Northcott at Dell.com Matthew_Northcott at Dell.com
Thu Dec 14 12:02:59 PST 2006

 Tried everyhting mentioned below and still no sound. Anyone else have
any ideas?

Did the following to try and mute some of the device nodes you
mentioned.

Mixer line1 0

To set the volume of line1 to well 0 :D. Anyway have done this to
everyhtign except the vol and still no go. Anyone else have any advice?
-----Original Message-----
From: Mark A-J. Raught [mailto:flash at raught.net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 9:17 PM
To: Northcott, Matthew - Authorized Dell Representative
Cc: freebsd-multimedia at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Gateway MX3215 laptop running fbsd 6.1 current, no sound.

Matthew_Northcott at Dell.com wrote:
>  have been hacking at this freebsd install for over 3 weeks now. Got
> everything working perfectly but sound. Been playing with it for
> awhile and have tried all of the config options i could imagine. Now
> gateway doesnt shed to much light on the soundcard/chipset thats in
this system.

> it does tell me these two bits of info.
> Chipset: Via VN800
> Audio: AC '97 2.3 Compliant Audio
> Built-in Speakers
>
> So i tried native drivers, but no go. So i then downloaded and got OSS

> installed ( latest version from the website) it does see my sound card

> as VIA VT8233/8235/8237. But when I go to play sound eaither ussing
> osstest or an application like xmms the system thinks it's playing to
> the sound out, but i get no sound from the speakers. Adjusted volume
> using ossxmix, but to no avail. Anyone ever ran into anyhting like
> this or is using this same system? Any help would be much appreciated.

I had a similar problem a while ago with (I think) a VIA driver. I'm not
sure what laptop it was on, but the driver would see it and it looked
like it was working but there was no sound. It drove me crazy. I found
that if I muted or was it unmuted one of the sound devices possibly line
in and it would work. I just created a script to do it from the command
line and all was well. It wasn't the actual audio device that I muted or
unmuted, it was just one of the others and as soon as that was done the
audio worked normally. I can look into more if you need specifics, but
it may be until weekend when I can get on the different laptops and look
around. It may have even been this one (intel audio) but I have linux on
it currently.

-mark