snd_hda: loud distorted sound with NVidia MCP51

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 11 11:31:23 PST 2006

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 02:50:48 +0900
Hiroharu Tamaru <tamaru at myn.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
> Thank you, Ariff,
>
> At Tue, 12 Dec 2006 01:08:05 +0800,
> Ariff Abdullah wrote:
> >
> > [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
> > On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 00:54:26 +0900
> > Hiroharu Tamaru <tamaru at myn.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > In my case, I think it is most important to mute the second
> > > connection(nid=15) to nid=28
> > >
> > > pcm0:             nid: 28 [ANALOG]
> > > pcm0:            name: audio mixer
> > > pcm0:      widget_cap: 0x0020010b
> > > pcm0:     Parse flags: 0x00000002
> > > pcm0:       Ctl flags: 0x00000041
> > > pcm0:       Input amp: 0x80000000
> > > pcm0:                  mute=1 step=0 size=0 offset=0
> > > pcm0:     connections: 2
> > > pcm0:           |
> > > pcm0:           + <- nid=12 [pin: line in (jack)]
> > > pcm0:           |
> > > pcm0:           + <- nid=15 [pin: headphones out (jack)]
> > >

> > Grab this binary module:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/test/snd_hda.ko
> >
> > Here is the source:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/test/hdac_asus_alc861.c
>
> Yes! This binary module works great!
>
> The plain default mixer setting of:
> Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
> Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
> Recording source: mic
>
> plays very clear sound now.
> I tried all the way up to pcm 100 vol 100, and they are all fine.
> The volume scales quite naturally from 0 to 100.

Committed. You can grab the latest binary modules or patch from the
usual place.

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........