snd_hda: loud distorted sound with NVidia MCP51

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 6 09:08:05 PST 2006

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 01:42:41 +0900
Hiroharu Tamaru <tamaru at myn.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:

[..]

> Fiddling with vol and pcm with /usr/sbin/mixer only changes
> the volume very slightly ( but it does change, always way
> loud ).  But decreasing it down until where 'vol' multiplied
> by 'pcm' becomes less than 200, the sound stops completely.
> I have not tried all combinations, but for instance,
> vol = 2, pcm = 100 gives loud distored sound whereas
> vol = 2, pcm =  99 gives silence.
> Same with vol=50, pcm=4 and vol=49, pcm=4, etc.

How about pcm=75 vol=55, or pcm=55 vol=45, or simmilar. Try not to
set too wide gap between both vol and pcm. Besides, anything above
65 is considered harmful.

> This barebone has a pair of speaker, mic connector at the front
> panel and a speaker-mic-line trio at the rear, but both speaker
> connectors behaves the same.
>
> Setting hint.pcm.0.softpcmvol=1 did not help (the behaviour is the
> same with or without this hint).

The correct setting is hint.pcm.0.config="softpcmvol", but as in your
case it is already the default.

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........