New USB MIDI driver for FreeBSD
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net
Tue Aug 29 23:24:17 UTC 2006
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:19:22 +0200, Hans Petter Selasky
<hselasky at c2i.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During the past week I have been working on USB MIDI support for
> FreeBSD. I choose the simplest approach, and that was to create a
> raw/direct MIDI device. I have created a user-land library called
> "umidi20" that will do the low-level sequencing / timing stuff.
>
> Maybe someone here wants to help.
>
> How to install:
>
> #
> # First get all the sources:
> #
>
> svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
> checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b
>
> #
> # The following commands will
> # install the driver on FreeBSD:
> #
>
> cd i4b/trunk/i4b/FreeBSD.usb
> make S=../src package
> make install
> cp -i ../src/sys/dev/sound/usb/uaudio*[ch] /sys/dev/sound/usb/
>
> #
> # Then build a new kernel.
> #
>
> The "umidi20" library will seemlessly handle device attach/detach.
> For example one can unplug the MIDI device during playback, then plug
> it in, and everything works again. No need to restart anything. Just
> make sure that you "chmod 777 /dev/umidi*" or something similar.
>
> I have also created a homepage with some screenshots and info:
>
> http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/midistudio
Hmmm...I wonder how well this might work with Rosegarden 4.
I've managed to get Rosegarden 4 to compile and run on my amd64 CURRENT
box (running it with the --nosequencer switch to prevent crashing on
startup). Perhaps with this device, the sequencer in Rosegarden may
actually become useable!
I've considered submitting a port of Rosegarden 4, but am hesitant to
do so with the broken sequencer functionality. All of the other
modules seem to work pretty well, though, especially the much-improved
(over the old Rosegarden we already have in ports) Notation Editor,
which I've used to create and then export MIDI files.
I may just have to find a USB cable for my Yamaha S03 keyboard and see
how it goes. :-)
Thanks!
--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"
More information about the freebsd-multimedia
mailing list