New USB MIDI driver for FreeBSD

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Sun Aug 27 15:42:10 UTC 2006

Hi,

During the past week I have been working on USB MIDI support for FreeBSD. I
choose the simplest approach, and that was to create a raw/direct MIDI
device. I have created a user-land library called "umidi20" that will do the
low-level sequencing / timing stuff.

Maybe someone here wants to help.

How to install:

#
# First get all the sources:
#

svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
      checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b

#
# The following commands will
# install the driver on FreeBSD:
#

cd i4b/trunk/i4b/FreeBSD.usb
make S=../src package
make install
cp -i ../src/sys/dev/sound/usb/uaudio*[ch] /sys/dev/sound/usb/

#
# Then build a new kernel.
#

The "umidi20" library will seemlessly handle device attach/detach. For example
one can unplug the MIDI device during playback, then plug it in, and
everything works again. No need to restart anything. Just make sure that you
"chmod 777 /dev/umidi*" or something similar.

I have also created a homepage with some screenshots and info:

http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/midistudio

--HPS