PCI Video Capture Cards w/Tuner & FM Recommendations

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Mon Apr 24 09:41:00 UTC 2006

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 00:42:19 -0400
Bob Perry <rperry at gti.net> wrote:

> So far, most, if not all, of the cards recommended in the bktr(4) man
> page point to Windows as the "required" OS.

	The only reason for this is the supplied software, there are two
things to worry about with video cards. For bktr it must be a Brooktree or
Connexant (they took over the product) 848 or 878 device (878 is far more
common). Be warned that there are boxes aroound that say there is an 878
inside which have something else on the board (I was bitten this way). The
other issue is the tuner and it is *very* hard to find out what the tuner
is on many boards and manufacturers have a bad habit of changing them
without notice. All that being said if you can find a board with an 878 and
a supported tuner then they work well under FreeBSD. The bottom line is
make sure you can take it back if it doesn't work for you.

	The other option is a PVR250/350 - check the mailing list archives
about these.