drop snd_ from DRIVER_MODULEs...

Wed Apr 19 18:10:16 UTC 2006

Am Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:58:19 -0700
schrieb John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu>:

> # cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <VIA VT82C686A> at io 0xcc00 irq 5 kld via82c686 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)
>
> So, the file name is the same, the only real user difference from this
> change is that the cat /dev/sndstat says via82c686 instead of
> snd_via82c686...  This is from the PCM_KLDSTRING part of the patch, and
> I only changed it to match the kernel module name, so I don't have a
> preference as to if it changes or not...

I think sndstat should print the file name of the module. IIRC we refer
to this string in some docs and tell the user to use it as  to put
'<string>_load="YES"' into loader.conf.

So if you want to commit your patch, please change PCM_KDLSTRING in
src/sys/dev/sound/pcm/sound.h to
  #define PCM_KLDSTRING(a) ("kld snd_" # a)

> also, w/o this change I couldn't of loaded the module the way I did
> above, w/o the snd_ prefix...  It appears that kldunload doesn't
> reference the kldxref file as you can't unload by module name.. :(

Maybe another patch to do... or submit an entry for this to the ideas
list (http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/). :-)

Bye,
Alexander.

WL http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/registry/1FZ4DTHQE9PQ8/ref=wl_em_to/