Building a simple media player, need hints of reusable code?

Ola Theander ola.theander at otsystem.com
Sat Oct 29 03:08:02 PDT 2005

Dear subscribers

I'm working on a project where a media player/recorder will be a part of a
bigger software application, i.e. one part in the process supported by the
software will be recording and playback of video from a digital video camera
connected to the computer's firewire port.

There are quite a few media players etc available e.g. VLC, Mplayer etc. and
I've examined them but I don't want to use them as they are since the media
function will be part of a bigger process and I want the functionality to be
embedded in the main application. I realize that they can be used as a base
for the development of the needed media player but my goal with this mail is
too see if I can get any hints about code bases that might be more
manageable and intended as a fundation for media development. I.e. what I'm
looking for is a library or similar which support video decoding and maybe
even include GUI components.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Ola Theander