uaudio and Digigram UAX220

Fabrice Grattier grattier at digigram.com
Tue Oct 25 00:14:06 PDT 2005

Dear Per Olof,

Indeed, the UAX220 feature you mention might have something to do with the problem that is encountered with FreeBSD.
By default, the UAX220 has a fixed internal clock, set at 48 KHz.
Under Windows (XP), Microsoft DirectSound allows "on the fly" sampling rate conversion (processing being done on PC's CPU) if  playback and/or recording is performed at a different sampling frequency value. That ensures that Analog-To-Digital and Digital-To-Analog Converters provide the best possible quality with the UAX220, whatever actual playback/recording sampling frequency value.

Modifying this UAX220 feature requires a firmware change (to switch from fixed-48Khz-firmware to free-frequency-firmware).
Problem is that firmware updater program is not finalized yet, that is why you cannot find neither the firmware, not the firmware updater program on our site.

Is this UAX220 feature definitely a problem to make it work under FreeBSD?

Please let me know.

With regards,

Fabrice