ports / multimedia/pvr250 / halts system?

Arne Wörner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 23 15:04:27 PDT 2005

Hi!

I see a strange problem when I do a
# dd if=/dev/cxm0 ibs=1 count=100000 of=/dev/null

Ping-times increase from about 1ms to about 80ms. telnet behaves
strange:
# telnet vaako 22
Trying 10.1.1.3...
Connected to vaako.
Escape character is '^]'.
test
^]
telnet> close
Connection closed.
# telnet vaako 80
Trying 10.1.1.3...
Connected to vaako.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /
[no reply]

A reboot helps. But that is not so good...

My box is an old Pentium with 2 IDE discs and 2 NICs (one PCI and
one ISA) and no VGA card (just ISA sio for consule and fax).

Most times /dev/cxm0 works as expected, if block size is high
(like 1m)... But sometimes it just stops providing bytes or it
crashes the system... The problem occurs almost immediately, if
the block size is small (like 1b)... Sometimes it looks like a
http data stream (about 9Mbit/sec) increases the incidence of a
crash... Sometimes it works for days and sometimes it crashes some
minutes after reboot...

Can somebody help me to analyze/solve this problem?

Bye
Arne