6.0RC1: playback speed of mp3 and .wav files approx 10% slower

Ariff Abdullah skywizard at MyBSD.org.my
Fri Oct 21 08:42:41 PDT 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:10:46 +0200
Andreas Klemm <andreas at freebsd.org> wrote:
> As a guitarist I would say, yeah ! Give me knobs where I can
> finetune the playback speed to practice awesome solos ;-)
>
> But I fear this feature wasn't intended in 6.0rc1 as default
> feature with fixed value ;-)
>
> Well when playing mp3 files with xmms and mpg123 the playback
> speed is definitively hearable slower that it should be.
> Deeper voices etc ...
>
> What can have caused this ?
>
> Can't tell you exactly when this happened, since I didnt listen
> to mp3 since about a week or such.

That is weird, considering that nothing has changed for RELENG_6 sound
driver, and because of that of course RELENG_6 still plagued with the
infamous virtual channel speed problems. What soundcard you have
there, and how about the settings of sysctl hw.snd.*. ? Mysterious
failling hardware / speaker is part of the consideration too.

Your younger brother / sister / daughter could be the prime suspect
too (no, I'm not kidding!)

http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/snd_RELENG_6_20051009_054.diff , if
that could bring the entire driver closer to HEAD.

--
Ariff Abdullah
MyBSD

http://www.MyBSD.org.my (IPv6/IPv4)