[Recommendation] graphicscard (agp) for FreeBSD

Sascha Klauder sklauder at trimind.de
Tue Nov 29 19:27:31 GMT 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 07:06:56PM +0100, Gordon Bergling wrote:
> I am building a new workstation. Most hardware was just ordered, but I
> am still need a good supported graphicscard for FreeBSD.
>
> Can anyone recommend a graphicscard based on AGP, which should be
> support TV-Out.

 That heavily depends on what you want to do with it.  If you
just do 2D, DVD-playback and the like, I would recommend a
Matrox G450 or G550 card.  They feature superb image quality,
are completely supported (TV-output worked when I last used
one two years ago) and well documented, and even their OpenGL
performance is sufficient for at least xscreensaver.

 If you need 3D/OpenGL performance, get an NVidia card.  They
have native drivers (binary-only though), which are quite stable.
ATI Radeon cards are nice too, but I'd bad luck with DRI drivers
recently.

Cheers,
-sascha