kern/31445: [sound] [patch] cat sound.au > /dev/audio fails for sounds > 4KB

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 12 05:00:31 GMT 2005

The following reply was made to PR kern/31445; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ariff Abdullah <ariff at FreeBSD.org>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Cc: FBSD lists member <7c3b40e4 at clements.org>
Subject: Re: kern/31445: [sound] [patch] cat sound.au > /dev/audio fails for
 sounds > 4KB
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:52:49 +0800

 On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:20:18 GMT
 FBSD lists member <7c3b40e4 at clements.org> wrote:

 >  Assuming the above-mentioned "-current" referenced by netchild is
 >  in 6.0 RELEASE, I believe this PR was incorrectly
 >  (unthinkingly/disrespectfully?) closed.

 You should have known that "-current" does mean "7". "6" is on its way
 to become "-stable".

 >  I have installed 6.0 on a box here and performed the test described
 >  in my previous comment on this PR.
 >
 >  I added snd_driver_load and sound_load to /boot/loader.conf, and
 >  I downloaded/built sox from /usr/ports.
 >
 >  I repeated the test described in my previous comment.  (The
 >  lunabase.org files do not seem to be available now.)
 >
 >  To make sure that the bug is not in sox, I also tried the same
 >  test using wavplay.
 >
 >  The results are the same from both userland programs.  The short
 >  files are still either truncated or completely omitted.

 Would you kindly repeat that test after applying patch from
 http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/ ? Since you're using 'RELEASE', the
 appropriate patch is snd_RELENG_6_0_20051108_059.diff. It contains
 massive fixes, which unfortunately did not made its way into RELENG_6
 by the time of 6.0-RELEASE.

 Part of the discussion (simmilar PR) can be found at
 http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2005-November/003025.html

 --
 Ariff Abdullah
 FreeBSD