Sound driver weirdness

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Nov 4 10:50:46 PST 2005

> "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> > In message: <20051104161811.4ca68aac.skywizard at MyBSD.org.my>
> >             Ariff Abdullah <skywizard at MyBSD.org.my> writes:
> > : On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 00:08:42 -0700 (MST)
> > : "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> > : > I recently upgraded my only sony 505TS.
> > : >From .. to .. ?
> > :
> Upgraded from what (FreeBSD?) version to what (I guess it is
> -CURRENT)?

current from 'a while' ago.  I no longer have the old kernel to know
what exact version it was.

> > : > Sound stopped working.
> > : > xmms gives an error that the operation isn't supported by my
> > device. : >  I
> > : > wonder what this means?  From looking at the open to /dev/dsp,
> > it : > appears that the channel reset isn't succeeding.
> What makes you think channel reset isn't succeeding? Any other error
> or diagnostic messages from syslog/console?

Nope.  What makes me think this is purely code inspection for the
operation not supported by device:

	if (flags & FREAD) {
		/* got a channel, already locked for us */
		if (chn_reset(rdch, fmt)) {
			pcm_chnrelease(rdch);
			i_dev->si_drv1 = NULL;
			return ENODEV;
		}
	}
	if (flags & FWRITE) {
	    /* open for write */
	    if (!wrch)
		error = EBUSY; /* XXX Right return code? */
	    else if (chn_reset(wrch, fmt))
		error = ENODEV;

> Perhaps /dev/dsp has been acquired by something else (since your
> vchans disabled). fstat | grep dsp. How about enabling vchans?

% fstat | grep dps
%

Why are my vchans disabled, what does that mean and what can I do
about it?

Warner