maestro3 hardware volume control

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Sat May 28 16:49:49 PDT 2005

Panagiotis Astithas wrote:

> Weird, on my HP Omnibook XE3, the on-board maestro3 has been working
> flawlessly all along without any entry in /boot/device.hints. If I add:
> hint.pcm.0.hwvol_config="0"
> then the hardware volume controls on the laptop stop functioning.
> Setting it to "1" makes it working again.
>
> Does that mean that GPIO pin 4,5 was selected as the default by some
> other means on my system? Could ACPI be doing it?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Panagiotis

The selection is made by the hardware vendor when the system is
designed.  There is usually no way to control it in software, and
no way to detect it in the driver.  There is also no way to program
the chip to use both sources.  Maybe there should be a poll to see
how many people have working volume controls without Pyun's patch?

Scott