volume problems with snd_via8233

vaida bogdan vaida.bogdan at gmail.com
Sat May 14 03:14:23 PDT 2005

Hi, I've bought a new computer with an ASRock K7Upgrade-880
motherboard with 5.1 channels AC'97 Audio (quoting from install guide
and I have a problem with sound on Freebsd 5.4 with snd_via8233.

After I load the module, the sound volume is set to max and even
though I can lower the sound bar (xmms) or lower the volume in mplayer
the volume doesn't change. I can only change it from my audio boxes.

I think it could be a module problem because it works ok in windows.

# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <VIA VT8237> at io 0xd000 irq 22 kld snd_via8233 (5p/1r/0v
channels duplex default)