region code in cdrecord

Andrew Sparrow spadger at spadger.best.vwh.net
Mon May 2 16:01:48 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:49:48PM +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:46:03 +0000
> Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org> wrote:
>
> >   Now, I want to go for broke, and try for the one I've been after for
> > years, which is converting a region==2 dvd to a region==1 dvd
>
> 	AFAIK you can't region code a writeable DVD or CSS encode it.

The RPC-1 region code is a bit-wise char field @ position 0x23 in
the VIDEO_TS.IFO file.

Bits are cleared if enabled, 0 means "all regions" and such a disk
should play on any player that can deal with the video encoding
and/or the audio format of the MPEG-TS.

(Which won't get you very far if your NTSC TV can't display SECAM
or PAL).

Cheers,

AS