ESS Maestro3 no sound

Pyun YongHyeon yongari at rndsoft.co.kr
Wed Jun 29 04:30:39 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 11:06:09AM +0800, Muzaffar Ariff wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I've been trying to configure my maestro3 on a dell latitude (C600)
 > but can't seem to get it right. Here's what I've done:
 >
 > 1. Identified my sound card by loading the sound driver module:
 >     #kldload snd_driver
 >
 > 2. Cat /dev/sndstat to see what sound driver it is:
 >     FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
 >     Installed devices:
 >     pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro3> at io 0xd800 irq 5 kld snd_maestro3
 >     (4p/1r/0v channels duplex default)
 >
 > 3. So then I load the driver directly to /boot/loader.conf:
 >     snd_maestro3_load="YES"
 >
 > 4. The I reboot the system and used xmms to play my mp3. It runs and
 > can play the file but no sound! Pump up the volume but nothing
 > happens. The weird thing is the sound works on Windows. I've search
 > the startup messages /var/run/dmesg.boot and found the following:
 >
 > pci0: <bridge, PCI-unknown> at device 7.3 (no driver attached)
 > pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro3> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem 0xf3ffe000-0xf3ffffff irq
 >  5 at device 8.0 on pci0
 > pcm0: failed: rid 0x10 is ioport, requested 3
 > pcm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
 > pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9721/23 AC97 Codec>
 >
 > Now could there be something wrong with the pci0 or the pcm0? Any
 > pointers on how to fix this?

While converting maestro3(4) to MPSAFE one I noticed the same thing.
Unloading/reloading the driver fixed it. I guess there are cases that
the hardware were not initialized correctly. But it was hard to
reproduce it on my system and I just met just two times so far.
Due to lack of publicly available documentaion from ESS it's also
difficult to know what is the reason. :-(
Btw, does the issue vanish away when you cold start your system?

You may get better chance if the driver is linked into kernel.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon
http://www.kr.freebsd.org/~yongari	|	yongari at freebsd.org