FreeBSD Handbook: Soundcard Setup Addition (7.2.1)

Sascha Klauder sklauder at trimind.de
Mon Jun 6 17:50:43 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:42:04AM -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:29:55AM -0400 I heard the voice of
> Mathew Kanner, and lo! it spake thus:
> > My expectation was that no-one was using ISA.  From your message and
> > a couple last month I think it's more popular that I ever thought.
> > I wish there was some way of doing a poll of whats really is used
> > out there.

 I for one use both :)  I've got a SB AWE64 Gold and a SB
Live! card.  The AWE card is used primarily for listening
to music, the Live for playing games/watching movies.  My
primary annoyance with the Live card is that it's mixer
lacks bass and treble controls.  And the AWE card has better
sound -- my (subjective) opionion.

> I doubt anybody in the last 5 years has built a system and put an ISA
> soundcard in it.  And most newer systems don't even have ISA at all,

 I admit to using retro hardware, both my systems have ISA
slots ;)

> It'd probably be a pretty bad thing to not SUPPORT the ISA cards, but
> I wouldn't trip over myself offering amenities to people using 'em.

 Please don't drop ISA sound support.

Cheers,
-sascha