Multiple consumers of /dev/dsp

Ulrich Spoerlein spoerlein at informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Mon Jul 25 20:28:44 GMT 2005

On Thu, 21.07.2005 at 14:43:45 +0100, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> In the past I'm sure that we supported the mixing of audio in the kernel
> so that multiple applications could open /dev/dsp at the same time.  Was
> this a function of the audio card driver, or of the audio subsystem?
> Currently on my new machine I don't get any mixing, and applications
> fail to open /dev/dsp if it's already open by something.
>
> Am I imagining that this use to the case or isn't it enabled by default?

You want to set hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4 (or higher). The SB Live! has 4
hardware channels (not need to set anything) other cards only have one
channel and need the "virtual channel" setting.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44