Best processor for multimedia?

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 07:40:35 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 12:06:47AM -0700, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
 > On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 03:08:45PM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
 > > I'm thinking of building a new, quite fast system for multimedia,
 > > notably displaying MPEGs.  I'm currently using mplayer on an Athlon
 > > 1700, and from time to time there are hiccoughs.  Processors are cheap
 >
 > apart from the obvious optimizations (such as using  mplayer compiled
 > for the specific flags for your CPU) i believe the hiccups are more
 > likely due to CPU and disk not being available when you need, rather
 > than raw CPU speed (above a certain level, that is).  I'd try to
 > tweak process priority and things such as HZ and kern.quantum.

I agree. Have you tried recent -CURRENT which has the jeff's
enhancements(vfs_bio.c rev. 1.487) for audio playback?
See http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-June/051103.html.

If you still suffer from hiccup, I'd like to know which H/W and
driver you tried.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon