PVR250 ... mythtv ... freevo ... /dev/cxm0 ...

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Mon Feb 21 21:18:18 PST 2005

Hi, list!

I just got my PVR250 and I've been able to get it working with
the /usr/ports/multimedia/pvr250 port, using `mplayer /dev/cxm0 `

Yippee!

I've also complied and given up on mythtv ... it compiles fine, but I get this
error about V4L not working in this OS.  Someone mentioned a patch to get
Video4Linux working on FreeBSD, but I'm weary from trying to find it :)

Next I moved to /usr/ports/multimedia/freevo, and I'm pretty excited about
that ... except for the fact that freevo doesn't seem to provide the facility
to just watch a channel.

I think for my needs `mplayer /dev/cxm0` works fine, except I can't change
channels.  When I try `pvr250-setchannel <newchannel>` I get 'Device busy' if
mplayer is running.  How can I get pvr250-setchannel to work while mplayer
has /dev/cxm0 locked?  Maybe a shell that interoperates between
pvr250-setchannel and some player?

But ... if anyone knows how to get freevo to view an arbitrary channel, that'd
be cool, too.

Thanks,

lane