Help: Tips for building a video capture device?

Ola Theander ola.theander at otsystem.com
Mon Feb 7 15:56:59 PST 2005

Dear subscribers

I'm trying to help a customer to build a station for documentation using
video recording. My customer's business involves inspecting buildings using
fibre optics. For this purpose he as constructed a suitcase like station
using a DVD-HD recorder found in most retail stores, a flat TV screen etc.
However, this station is very heavy and clumsy so I figure that I try and
help him to create something more suitable.

My idea is to use one of these ITX-motherboards to build a video capture
computer with a simple touch screen interface but I haven't managed to find
a motherboard that supports video-in as well as it's able to run FreeBSD or
Linux. If
it's possible I would try to avoid expansion video capture cards since I
want to keep the package as small and as cheap as possible, since if this
idea works it will be manufactured in a substantial number of units. So if
anyone know of a motherboard that meet these requirements, please give me a
hint.

This construction is a first draft idea so if any of you hackers out there
have some alternative idea how this can be done I'll be glad to hear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Ola Theander