Hardware recommendations for MythTV/FreeBSD

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Feb 2 10:27:34 PST 2005

On 2/2/2005 5:59 AM Adam Maloney wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Steven S. wrote:
>
>> For the most part the pvr-250 is plug and play. Most of the tuners
>> are supported so you should be okay. I've not fiddled with source
>> selection, from what I gather from reply's here it seems to be hit or
>> miss, oddly. I would guess it would work. Unless it doesnt.
>

> That's kind of what I suspected...everyone is pretty sure it will work
> fine, but no one wants to out-right guaranty it :)  But unless I hear
> any real negative feedback from others, I think my mind is made up on
> the PVR-250.

I've been watching this thread as I am interested in building such a
setup also.  Can anyone comment on whether the 350 offers any benefit
over the 250?  As I understand it, the 350 also includes a hardware
decoder for MPEG-2 playback.  Is this any significant advantage?  My PVR
will be based on an 1gz AMD Athlon.

Also, I have a wide screen HDTV.  Does anyone know of any cards that
support the wide screen HDTV resolutions?  Although I've found tuner
cards (no hardware encoder) that support this, I haven't come across any
PVR cards.

Thanks,

Drew

--