Which USB-Soundcards work?

Kazuhito HONDA kazuhito at ph.noda.tus.ac.jp
Tue Feb 1 19:50:18 PST 2005

From: Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser at remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk>
Subject: Re: Which USB-Soundcards work?
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:15:32 +0100 (CET)

> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:24:49 +0900 (JST), Kazuhito HONDA wrote:
> > I might plug my headphone in a microphone hole yesterday.
> > I'm ashamed for making a big mistake.
>
> Do not be ashamed, we all make mistakes like this :-)

Thank you for your kind words.

> I just obtained the Creative Audigy 2 NX USB today, and while it
> looks promising when I connected it (uaudio finds it, and recognizes
> what it can do), it doesn't quite seem to be able to play back yet.
> I haven't tried -- I just saw the errors below, and `mixer' reports
> it's only mixer-aware.

> play channel supported format list invalid
> pcm1: chn_init(pcm1:play:0) failed: err = 19
> pcm1: pcm_chn_create(ua_chan, 1, 0xc19f4a80) failed
> record channel supported format list invalid
> pcm1: chn_init(pcm1:record:0) failed: err = 19
> pcm1: pcm_chn_create(ua_chan, -1, 0xc19f4a80) failed

These look like the same problem as below:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=246398+0+archive/2004/freebsd-usb/20041231.freebsd-usb

If they are just same problems, It will be resolved by changing
UAUDIO_PCM_BUFF_SIZE definition to (16*1024)-4 in uaudio_pcm.c.
(if it is (18*1024)-1, sound right-left will be counterchanged.)

This problem must come from maxsegz size
in the function bus_dma_tag_create() in uaudio_pcm.c
which is smaller than UAUDIO_PCM_BUFF_SIZE
and one digit smaller than maxsegzs of other audio devices.
Actually, this problem can be fixed by changing maxsegz
from 0x3fff to 0x3ffff.
But I don't know it has some reasons,
or it is a mere copy mistake.

Kazuhito HONDA