asus mobo, poor sound quality

Erik Udo erik.u at dnainternet.net
Wed Dec 14 09:54:56 PST 2005

Timothy Smith wrote:
> hi i have an asus p4s800-mx with an onboard adi 1888 audio, i load it
> with kldload snd_driver, loads fine, here is the output of the sound device
>
> %cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <SiS 7012> at io 0x9400, 0x9000 irq 18 bufsz 16384 kld snd_ich
> (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)
>
> it works alright, but the sound quality is really bad, crackly and
> muffled bass. i know it's not my speakers or my setup because it works
> perfectly on my windows system which sits right beside the bsd system.
> it is definately the freebsd driver.
>
> so, is there some way i can fix this or is freebsd totally gimped with
> this chip? it's supposed to be ac97 compatable.
>
> thanks in advance

Depending on your version (if these patches are mergerd?):

site: http://staff.mybsd.org.my/skywizard/FreeBSD/sound/old/

Note on via823x
   (Maybe) You can get better sound (no pop/crackle) by disabling dxs
channel
   method. To do this, add hint.pcm.0.via_dxs_disabled="1" into your
   /boot/device.hints. Basically:
     hint.pcm.<unit>.via_dxs_disabled="1"

   Enabling vchan also helps a lot, especially to prevent overruns

   Since freebsd native sound multiplexer is so superior, you shouldn't
   worry about losing dxs hardware capability.