c-media 8738-MC6

Mon Dec 5 04:54:37 PST 2005

Todor Aleksandrov <yodor at developer.bg> wrote:

> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>
>> Todor Aleksandrov <yodor at developer.bg> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a box with cmedia 8738-mc6 pci card. I can get only stereo
>>> playback with it, while the card is supporting 5.1 channels. Works
>>> fine on linux using mplayer -channels 6 ...
>>> I've appied the patch from  http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/
>>> I can get the new sampling rates working. Is there any chance I can
>>> get this card running in multichannel 5.1 mode ?
>>

>> ONly if you want to contribute the necessary code...

> I dont know if I'm ready to contribute, but I would love to. I got
> the sources of the original driver for linux from c-media and also
> the alsa. I was wondering if there is something to do with the ac97
> code in freebsd?

The linux code is not of help, since you are not allowed to copy it into the
FreeBSD code.

Regarding the FreeBSD side of things: as far as I know, the sound system
infrastructure needs to be extended to know about more than two channels per
output device. But I better let other people which know more about the
internals of the sound system than me comment in this.

Bye,
Alexander.

How wonderful opera would be if there were no singers.