quality soundcard

Mon Aug 29 12:59:26 GMT 2005

Damian Gerow <dgerow at afflictions.org> wrote:

> Thus spake Alexander Leidinger (Alexander at Leidinger.net) [27/08/05 07:06]:
> : http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/arch-handbook/oss.html
> : but don't be surprised if it doesn't explain the current way of
> : writting a sound driver.
> :
> : If you find something wrong, please report it here and/or in our PR
> : database. Much better would be a patch which corrects the error, but
> : just a report about outdated content is better than not knowing about
> : the problem at all.
>
> This might be a dumb question, but hasn't there been substantial changes to
> pcm since FreeBSD 4.4?

I think the most intrusive change was the SMP locking. So you should compare
with other drivers while working on your own one.

> As a matter of curiousity, are skywizard's changes going to be incorporated
> into the tree at any point in time?  He's done some work that would be very
> nice to have for some of the higher-end sound cards.

Some changes are already in -current. I've asked him to split his most recent
patchset into "fixes" and "new features". I will try to commit the fixes this
week. I also want to commit the new features (slave channels), but I want t
get time to review and at least partially understand what he does before I
commit it.

Some of the changes which are in -current need to be changed (e.g. allow an
ordinary user to switch to digital out instead of having it as a root-only
switch) before we can think about merging them back to -stable.

Bye,
Alexander.

If a listener nods his head when you're
explaining your program, wake him up.