Mplayer adevice option does work

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Fri Apr 29 02:32:22 PDT 2005

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:33:17 -0300
Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> However, despite good reports from mplayer mailing lists (no FreeBSD
> reports), I am unable to use this option under FreeBSD. The option
> should allow me to get audio from a source other than the video source.

	AFAICS from a quick read of the source the audio device is
hardcoded to /dev/dsp (or /dev/sound for NetBSD) - presumably it fails
to open in mplayer because /dev/dsp is already opened for the audio
output. Try with -ao oss:dsp-device=/dev/dsp0.1 to force the output
to a different device.

> Option tv: Unknown suboption adevice
> -------
>
> 	Inquiries at irc.freenode.net#mplayer imply that this option
> works fine under Linux. Any ideas why I am unable to use it? Is it
> incidental to my system; i.e., does it work for everyone using FreeBSD
> but me? Or, is it just that this option does not work under FreeBSD?
>
> 	We should work at getting it fixed. Any ideas?

	Charles Heinrich wrote the bsd capture for mplayer - he didn't
add support for it. It looks easy enough to fix though.