Using uaudio(4) on systems withoug ISA bus

Tilman Linneweh tilman at arved.at
Tue Apr 26 07:57:46 PDT 2005

* Mathew Kanner [2005-04-26 16:02]:
> > I have tried to use my USB Headphone on my Mac mini.
> >
> > Unfortunately the sound system seems to require an ISA Bus, because in
> > channel.c sndbuf_dmasetdir and sndbuf_dmabounce are used, which are only
> > compiled if there is an isa device.
> >
> > Without knowing what i am doing i commented out these lines and everything
> > seems to compile and work, apart from mixer(8) saying Device not configured
> > and the following LOR on the first sound output:
>
> 	I think you have two very interesting issues here.  I'm busy
> right now but I'll try to get time to look at them, don't give up if
> you don't here from me :)  I anticipate this hump will be over in a
> couple of days but maybe through 'till the weekend
> 	1/ There is a dependency on ISA in the generic PCM code.  This
> is news to me and we need to get rid of it.

Well, i was a bit surprised too, because i have not figured out yet, how yongari
resolved this for the sparc64 cs4231 driver.
(His original patch at
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-sparc64/2004-July/001823.html
works around the problem, see the first XXX, but he did not commit this part)

Unfortunately i don't understand much of the soundsystem code yet.

> 	2/ There is a lock order reversal.  We haven't seen one of
> these in a while for the sound code.
>
> 	Just to clear things up for me, when you say Mac mini, this
> means you aren't running the standard i386/amd64, right?
> 	--Mat

Exactly, this is FreeBSD/powerpc.

Thanks for your quick reply

regards