Help with TV capture (mplayer/brooktree/audigy)

Yuriy Tsibizov Yuriy.Tsibizov at gfk.ru
Sat Apr 23 06:08:52 PDT 2005

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 10:14:26PM +0400, Yuriy Tsibizov wrote:
> > > emuctrl amp 4           ## amplify every input four times
> > > emuctrl set out13 100   ## set recording volume for DSP output
> > > emuctrl rset in6 100    ## set recording volume for DSP input
> > mic is (possible) connected via AC97 codec. You should try to set AC97
> > DSP input rec volume to 100.
> >
> > > $ mixer =rec mic
> > > Recording source: mic
> > This does not have any effect for driver. If you record from AC97 source,
> > it will always record 'stereo mix' (I can't remember, why it was done
> > this way, it was done long time ago).
>
> WORKS like a charm

You should also try to set other 'mixer' levels (except master, rec &
pcm) to zero. This can produce more clean sound.

> $ emuctrl rset in0 100 # enabling 100 on recording
> in0     AC97 Codec                0:0   (100:100)
>
> $ wavrec test.wav	# WORKS
> # records, I just have made it but I need to get better quality (and stereo)
> # and sounds a crowded metro

Can you try to connect your sound source into line input? Mic input can
have only mono ADC.

If sound level is really mic-level you can try to find cheap mixer to
amplify it to line-level.

Only 48k/16bit/stereo (native card bitrate)  and 44.1k/16bit/stereo
recording bitrates work well. Low bitrates may give you distorted sound.

> > If you look into -multimedia archives, there was a question about sound
> > recording on Audigy 2 cards (with emu10kx driver) around Feb 23th. As I
> > can remember, we was unable to record anything on Audigy 2. You can try
> > following test:
> >
> > 1. set recording level from FX0 to 100
> > 2. set level on "A/D converter (REC)" to 100
> > 3. play something in one window / virtual console and record in another
> > window / virtual console.
> > If sound recording works, than you will record sound you playing.
>
> 	Interesting when you want to pipe an application stream
> into another one. I'll try and give feedback afterwards.

Does it produce better sound than recoding from AC97 mic?

> 1) audio
>
> 	Okay, I have the audio input  despite the suboptimal results.
> Those will be fixed along the way.
[...]
> 	I hope I am providing enough information. Let me if anymore
> is necessary. Oh, the RCA cables being used to connect the L/R
> decoder outputs to the standard stereo connector to the Audigy2.
> The cabling is shielded, the connectors are "gold" plated, as good
> as it gets without importing. Nothing off the shelf :)` So I'm
> hoping the problem is an interaction OS and Hardware.

I hope cables was not short circuited during soldering?

Can you try to connect only one RCA connector to your satellite decoder
(RCA connector that connects to tip of minijack)? It is possible that
on-card connector is mono jack that will shortciruit one of your channels
(that connects to ring of minijack).

> $ mixer
> Recording source: mic
> Mixer vol      is currently set to  64:64
> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  81:81
> Mixer rec      is currently set to 100:100
> Mixer mic      is currently set to  83:83

You can set mixer values below to zero.
> Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer line1    is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
> Mixer video    is currently set to  75:75

I'm not shure what will happen when you change this to zero.
> Mixer ogain    is currently set to  50:50
> Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0

> $ emuctrl list
> Id	Description          	  Vol	RecVol
> FX (PCM) buses
> fx0	DSP FX BUS 0        	 83:83	(0:0)
> DSP Inputs
> in0	AC97 Codec          	  0:0	(100:100)
> in1	CD S/PDIF           	  0:0	(0:0)
> in2	Optical S/PDIF      	  0:0	(0:0)
> in3	0x06                	  0:0	(0:0)
> in4	Line-In (2)         	  0:0	(100:100)
rset in4 to zero.
> in5	Coaxial S/PDIF      	  0:0	(0:0)
> in6	AUX2                	  0:0	(100:100)
rset in6 to zero too. You don't want to record from this sources?
> in7	0x0E                	  0:0	(0:0)
> DSP Outputs
> out0	DIGITAL: Front      	  0:0
> out1	DIGITAL: Center     	  0
> out2	DIGITAL: Subwoofer  	  0
> out3	Headphones          	100:100
> out4	DIGITAL: Rear       	  0:0
> out5	Front               	100:100
> out6	Center              	100
> out7	Subwoofer           	100
> out8	Side                	  0:0
> out9	Rear                	100:100
> out10	AC97 ??             	100:100
set out10  to zero. I don't know, is it really connected to AC97 codec or
not.
> out11	0x12                	  0:0
> out12	0x14                	  0:0
> out13	A/D converter (REC) 	100:100