Can't Get Sound Card Working

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Tue Apr 19 07:27:22 PDT 2005

On 4/18/2005 10:07 PM Yuriy Tsibizov wrote:

>>I have a Creative Audigy sound card I'd like to get going on 5.4-STABLE
>>built a couple of days ago.  I've read the Handbook section on
>>configuring sound cards.  As such, I'm using the snd_emu10k1 module via
>>/boot/loader.conf.  The card shows up in dmesg:
>>

>>pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 4.5 (no driver attached)
>>pcm0: <Creative Audigy (EMU10K2)> irq 9 at device 9.0 on pci0
>>pcm0: 0x20 bytes of rid 0x10 res 4 failed.
>>pcm0: unable to map register space
>>device_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
>>pci0: <unknown> at device 9.2 (no driver attached)
>>

>can you build ports/sysutils/pciutils and send an output of lspci -vv for
>this card? It looks like driver can't map I/O space for this card.
>

>>pcm0 at pci0:9:0:  class=0xff01ff card=0x00000000 chip=0x00041102 rev=0x0b
>>hdr=0x7f
>>    vendor   = 'Creative Labs'
>>    device   = 'SoundBlaster Audigy Audigy Audio Processor'
>>

>I don't like class and card values of PCI configuration of your card.
>class should be 0x040100 and card should not be zero, i think.
>

>>none1 at pci0:9:2: class=0x400111 card=0x00000000 chip=0x40011102 rev=0x0a
>>hdr=0x10
>>    vendor   = 'Creative Labs'
>>    device   = 'EMU10K2 Audigy IEEE1394 Firewire Controller'
>>

>class value is correct here, but card should be 0x00101102 on Audigy.
>

>>Any help to get this card working is greatly appreciated.
>>

>I think it may be motherboard problem. I can be broken or FreeBSD does not
>have full support your PCI chipset. Do you have card=0x0 for every PCI
>device on your computer? Can you get PCI device configuration under other
>operating system (you can try to boot from any recent Linux Live CD and
>run lspci or similar program from it)?

Thank you for your reply.  You are correct in a way about the
motherboard.  I opened up the case and re-seated the card.  Seems when I
screwed the bracket in, it pulls the card out of the slot.  A pair of
pliers and a slight modification to the case fixed this problem.  Sound
card works much better now that it's properly installed.

Thanks for your help!

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse